Let’s face it: wrinkles are an inevitable part of the aging process. But guess what? Not all wrinkles are created equal. Understanding the different types of wrinkles and how they form is the best way to age gracefully.
Check out the five wrinkle facts below:
1) There are two types of wrinkles: dynamic and static. Dynamic (or active) wrinkles appear when we use muscles to form facial expressions, such as frowning or furrowing the brow. Static wrinkles are the ones that develop as we get older when natural substances like collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid decrease in production.
2) Even in the car, you still run the risk of developing sun-related wrinkles. Though it might feel like you’re protected, a car window isn’t enough to shield your skin from harmful UVA rays – regardless if it’s sunny or not. Wearing sun screen on a daily basis is the best way to prevent sun damage while driving.
3) Smoking can cause wrinkles and skin damage. We all know smoking is bad for our health, but did you also know it’s bad for your skin? Nicotine deprives the skin of oxygen, causing it to deteriorate over time. Other chemicals found in cigarettes can cause damage the skin’s underlying elastin and collagen. While the physical act of smoking can result in dynamic wrinkles over time.
4) Frown lines may mean vision problems. Rather than indicating age or sun damage, frown lines might actually mean it’s time for an eye exam. Many people overcompensate for poor vision by squinting. This repeated contraction can cause wrinkles to develop on the forehead and between the brows over time. If you address eye issues soon enough, you’ll be able to soften the appearance of fine lines on the upper face.
5) Poor diet can contribute to wrinkles. Unhealthy foods that contain excessive sugar can cause the protein fibers of your skin (including collagen and elastin) to become stiff over time – eventually resulting in wrinkles. Avoiding sugary foods and sticking to a diet high in fruits and veggies that contain antioxidants can help repair and protect your skin.
“Patient care was incredible! We are so very happy our child was referred to Dr. Will. We appreciate the attentiveness given to his medical condition. Will highly recommend to others.”Read More Reviews